So That’s Why They Wanted Those Dollar Bills

 

When I accepted an offer for a new job as an executive in a small but growing suburban community bank, the bank president commented on the suit I was wearing. It was summer and I chose to wear a medium grey three-piece suit for the interview. (I knew the president well; we worked together previously at another institution.) “I like your suit,” he told me, “But we are very conservative here. The men wear dark colored suits.” “Not a problem.  I said. "The suit I am wearing is in keeping with the dress code for the First National Bank (a global institution) where I work now, but I will abide by your standards for attire.” This was in 1991.

Well, I got the job, and about a year later, I noticed that the president, a brilliant man, and savvy lender, who was also quite eccentric, began wearing Looney Tunes Daffy Duck cartoon ties. My grey suit came out of the closet and nothing more was ever said about it. Bankers in general have earned a reputation for being conservative, but there is some “wiggle room.”

 

Twenty years earlier, I worked in the city for a progressive neighborhood bank. The atmosphere was certainly conservative, but an opportunity arose one day to allow you to drop your reserve and conservative inhibitions, to relax and enjoy yourself without worrying about what other people will think. I am not sure who organized the Friday evening event. It was not sanctioned by the bank. It was after-hours. Everyone was on their own. Tickets for the affair were sold in advance and with employees and their friends invited, a school bus was chartered to carry the happy group of revelers to Lake Geneva Wisconsin.

When Friday night came, a yellow motor coach, with lights flashing and doors agape, pulled up to the bank to allow the horde of hellraisers to climb aboard. They were all adults ranging in age from mid-twenties to those with grandkids, many with cameras. So where was everyone going? To a strip club. The Sugar Shack - one of the only clubs in the world to offer a male venue. The bus was full of women.

What happens in Wisconsin, stays in Wisconsin.

Not really. The photos came out a few days later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron the Yarn Spinner

Lost Trains of Thought